Home of tyty1234

Looping Ringtones on Android

Posted on by Tyler

Use Audacity's metadata editor to make your custom ringtone loop (click to enlarge)

Are you like me and want your custom ringtone to be looped on your Android phone? Well after about a half-hour of searching, I found the solution here and am spreading the word on. Read on for more!

Here are a few things you will need to make your ringtone loop.

• A ringtone that properly loops (theoretically)
  • Audacity
  • Your USB cable for your phone
  • A micro SD card (memory card) in your phone

Before we begin, if your ringtone is already a full-length song of some sort, you want to be sure that you either find a ringtone that is already shortened to about 15 seconds or less, or shorten it yourself using Audacity. For the best results, a looping ringtone is usually less than 10 seconds in length. Your ringtone must also be in a format that Audacity supports. So if you downloaded a m4a file of a ringtone and try to open it in Audacity, in may not open. If you have the beta version of Audacity however, you may be able to open it, with the optional FFmpeg library. If you know you’re good to go, then let’s proceed on to what to do next.

1. Install Audacity

If you do not have Audacity installed, go here and download Audacity. (stable or beta, up to you)

2. Open Your Ringtone in Audacity

Open Audacity, locate your ringtone, and drag and drop your ringtone into Audacity. If you downloaded from your computer, search your computer for it (unless you already know where it is) If you downloaded it to your phone, plug in your phone to the computer, and locate the ringtone on your SD card.

3. Make Necessary Modifications & Edit Metadata

Once open, you may make modifications to it if you wish, but the main thing here is that you want to go to “File -> Open Metadata Editor”. From here, you can do several things like give it a title, artist, etc. What we want to do is name the ringtone with the “Track Title” field, and add a new field called “ANDROID_LOOP“, and giving it a value of “true”. You can simply edit the blank field next to “Track Title” to name the ringtone, and then under the word “Comments” should be a blank field where you can enter “ANDROID_LOOP“. To set that to true, enter the word “true” into the blank field next to “ANDROID_LOOP“. Remember that it is important that “ANDROID_LOOP” is in all caps.

4. Export as OGG

Once done with that, you may hit the “OK” button to close the editor and then from here, go to “File -> Export”. In the dropdown box next to “Save as type”, you’re going to select “Ogg Vorbis Files” and hit “Save”. The file will then be saved in the same location as your ringtone, with an “ogg” extension.

5. Copy New Ringtone to SD Card

Now that you have your ringtone in a format Android likes, all you do now is copy the ringtone with the ogg extension back on to your SD card on your phone. You may also delete the old one if you already had it on your phone’s SD card.

6. Set Ringtone and Confirm Loop

After it has been copied, go ahead and disconnect your phone properly from the computer, and then go into your phone’s settings. Options vary from here, depending on what phone you have, but basically you are going into your Sounds settings, and then changing the ringtone like you normally would. You should see it as you scroll through the different ringtones on your phone. Once you see it, select it, and listen to it for a bit. It should loop like it supposed to. Once you have confirmed that it is looping, go ahead and hit tap on “OK” to save it. If you have no problems at all, then you’re all set! Refer below if the ringtone is not showing up for you.

No Ringtone?

If your ringtone does not appear in the list for some reason, you can also go into the music app and find your ringtone there. Once and if you do find it, you can use the menu button to set it as your ringtone, and you should be good to go. If you cannot find it at all, or if your ringtone didn’t loop like it should’ve, double check that you did the procedure correctly in Audacity, and check the list above to make sure everything is okay.

When I had the Skype ringtone before I did this, it would not seamlessly loop like I hoped it would. After finding this post through Google, the Skype ringtone now seamlessly loops whenever someone calls my phone. If you would like the Skype ringtone for your Android phone, you may download it here.

UPDATE 3/7/2013: Due to many popular hits on this blog post, I have updated this guide to be easier to read and follow. Please post a comment below for any questions that you may have, and I’ll do my best to answer. Thanks to all who linked to this blog post! =)

Did you like this? Share it:
This entry was posted in Android, Music, Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to “Looping Ringtones on Android”

1. Paul
    July 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Worked perfect, quick and easy; thanks!
    Running Samsung Galaxy SII on AOKP

2. James
    January 3, 2013 at 7:35 am

Bing bang boom! Worked great.

Make sure you use your Enter key when done entering data into the Metadata Editor fields, to make certain the values are saved. Then be sure to Export the file as OGG Vorbis. Audacity’s native file format is the .AUP Project format, so when you simply Save the edited OGG file in Audacity, it loses the OGG Metadata. Gotta do the Export.

3. Denz
    January 5, 2013 at 5:03 am

Oh man, this is so sweet. Now I have the intro portion of “Superfreak” by Rick James, the one that MC Hammer used in “Can’t Touch This.” I also looped a part of Michael Jackson’s “Billy jean.” Lastly, a slice of the intro of “Don’t You Want Me” by the Human League. I am an 80s music guy.

4. colAflash
    January 22, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I think http://kid3.sourceforge.net/ can do the job without exporting (and re-encoding) the file again.

5. ALexander
    March 10, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thanks it works flawlessly, looped the iphone original ringtone to my Galaxy SIII running AOKP JB 4.2

6. tona
    June 11, 2013 at 2:21 am

Perfect, Thanks.

HTC One XL (CN10.1)

7. Geoff
    August 7, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Many thanks for such a clear and simple explanation.

8. Kirill
    September 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Ok, but how to UNLOOP? I have deleted that tag and the ringtones are still damn looping in the system…

9. Kirill
    September 23, 2013 at 2:07 am

Tyler, thanks, shall try it.

10. The Sanity Inspector
    October 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I just got my first Android phone, and these instructions helped out a lot! So glad I can continue using the ringtones I made earlier.

11. Sid
    April 27, 2014 at 1:06 am

WOW..! AMAZING..!IT IS WORKING 100%….
    ENJOYING LOOPING RINGS..
    HA..HA..HA..
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH IT HELPED ME A LOT..AND ALSO INCREASED MY KNOWLEDGE

12. icdogg
    May 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thanks. I’ve been using the sound of the phone from the old movie “Our Man Flint” as one of my ringtones for a while but that needs to loop. This worked great. More complex than I had in mind, but I’m not going to argue with success!

13. Chris
    May 15, 2014 at 1:23 pm

For some reason, I have to add 2 seconds of silence (or solid tone, or screamo, gibberish – what ever you like since it’s not played) to the end of my Ogg Vorbis ringtones because my Sony Xperia Z2 likes to loop from the start to the end minus 2 seconds – starting the loop 2 seconds early, essentially.

Might just be the Xperia firmware’s interpretation of a Vorbis file, and I know it’s common practice in CD audio to have a 2 second pause between tracks, but I don’t know what the deal is. YMMV.

14. kb
    July 7, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Mmmm…it’s not working for me somehow. It just won’t loop! I have about 16 seconds of the Hobbit’s “Over the Misty Mountains Cold” the phone just plays the 16 seconds and just stops. Ringtone goes for up to 25 sec, no more, no less.I’m not sure what’s the issue….What do you guys think? 16 seconds is a lot I know…

15. Triumph custom notification and ring problems? - Android Forums
    July 8, 2014 at 10:32 pm

[…] and set it to "true". More complete directions for doing that with Audacity can be found here. As to why the Triumph doesn't recognize mp3s… no idea, other than that's just the way it is. But […]

16. icdogg
    December 9, 2014 at 8:35 am

I’ve had more fun clipping just the sections of tunes I want and looping them. The ring tones I’ve been using now are so distinct I always know it’s my phone and in most cases who is calling… lots of splash horns, Buddy Rich drum breaks, etc.

17. icdogg
    December 9, 2014 at 8:42 am

I probably shouldn’t need to say this, but I just use cloud storage, save the audacity file from my computer to Dropbox, and open Dropbox on my phone and export the file. It puts the file in “Downloads”; in order to move it to “Ringtones” I use a File Manager app on the phone. No cable required.